Sunday, July 15, 2012

Friends

You know, there are so many things I could blog about. I struggle sometimes because the possibilities are endless. The way I want to treat this blog is not as an obligation (I MUST do this twice a week!) or to please other people (what would increase the number of hits?!), but rather as a platform for communicating bursts of inspirations and gratitude. Tonight, I took a big step back and looked at the gift that I have been given. The gift of my dear, selfless - truly amazing - friends.

For the past week, I have had the privilege of spending lunches, coffee breaks, dinners and "wine and dessert" dates with close friends - they say with the intention of celebrating my birthday. How lucky am I? Very.


I am 35 now. There are some friends who, when I look at their faces, they are more familiar to me than some family. I see their eyes and it brings me back to being in 7th grade with them, having our lockers next door to each other and passing notes written on notebook paper and folded into triangles. I remember their hairsprayed high bangs. Their tight rolled jeans. More than anything, I remember going to their houses for slumber parties. Hanging out with their siblings and parents. We formed such a bond. Yes, we thought we were "BFFs" and that we would be friends when we were old, but how many friends do you really end up doing that with? Just a few. But oh boy - those few are my everything. These friends are the ones who know it all - the break-ups, the team tryouts you didn't make, the family crap, feeling left out. They still loved you for it. In fact, we laugh our asses off about it now - together. Best part - as the years go on, more experiences occur and it just gels your friendship that much more. Solidifies it. Bonds it.

And then there are some friends you might have just met in recent years. With age has come great maturity and the ability to "just know" right away who will be in your life for years to come. Those who feel like family. Who really are family.


Tonight, a few of my oldest friends (some from childhood and some from college) had dinner. There was absolutely NO gossip. No talking badly about anyone behind their back (we have too many better things to talk about). Just laughing about old times, telling stories about the uniqueness of our children, and a lot of self-depricating humor. It was time to leave but our goodbyes lasted about 20 minutes. We kept inching out the door but stopping for more conversation. Our last location was in the parking lot and the laughter and goodbyes followed as we climbed into our cars.


Friendship. It is my fuel. My therapy. My saving grace. Thank you dear friends - old and new - for being so. incredibly. amazing.

Today is our 6th wedding anniversary. We are celebrating by going back to our honeymoon city, San Diego. Much more about love, marriage and my darling husband in another post. Got a tripod from Papa Chip for my birthday and we got a family picture with both children smiling (which never happens).


On a different note, there is SO MUCH going on with Lily Cole Designs. My eyes are barely open right now, though, so I must retire to bed.

In closing, have you tried the new Starbucks Refreshers? I tried the Berry one today and loved it. It gave me a little boost of energy that I so desperately needed today.






No comments:

Post a Comment