Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Gotta skip, Papa Chip

See, some things just really "get" me. I have fleeting moments where I am completely overcome by this rush of gratitude and joy. Yet another moment to bottle. The other day, my dad (aka Papa Chip) was leaving our house after staying for a few days. Over the years, a tradition has developed between the kids and Papa Chip - a goodbye tradition. As he peeks his head out of his big blue truck before he drives away, the three of them will do a giant wave with one arm and say "Adios Amigo!" And then the kids will joyously ramble through their goodbyes: Gotta go hippo, Gotta run skeleton, and my personal favorite "Gotta skip, Papa Chip!" Then Cole is over it and runs inside, but Lily waits on the front step until he is out of sight. She'll wave and keep saying goodbye until those taillights are out of view. And then the first question she asks is "when is Papa Chip coming back?"


I remember as a kid going to visit my grandpa (Papa Chip's dad) and he always would wait on the front porch and wave while we would drive away. Full. Circle

This past weekend we took our annual trip to Council Grove, KS to celebrate the Fourth of July. My darling, awe-inspiring cousin, Cassidy, just got engaged. Her happiness radiated off of her. Just a few pictures from the weekend:


Every year all of the "kids" line up for a picture. It is so cool to see how they grow over the years. The happy couple are the 2 on the end. I am over the moon to welcome Rick to our family.


My uncle Tom and Papa Chip (brothers). I told them they looked like a couple of pastel jelly beans.


Cousin Lainey and Lily. They were attached at the hip and in the water most of the day.


Family.


I heart my daddy. A lot.

Now we are back at home and back to reality. We are almost always with my dad on the Fourth, so it is so strange that we won't be with him this year.

My mom is doing really well with her knee replacement recovery. She is in a rehab facility that is, for the most part, pretty attentive. Food is good too. Kids enjoy it because there are comfortable couches with a big screen TV and snacks at their disposal.


They are so helpful wheeling in Grandma Janie's luggage! Their biggest joy is throwing in pennies in the outside fountain and also pushing the elevator buttons. Isn't life grand?

Lily Cole Designs seems to have new surprises everyday. I am currently working on a new embroidery designs, new thank you card designs for children, and nursery art with the "twinkle twinkle little star" song. Feeling ever so grateful for...well....everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment