Saturday, May 12, 2012

Motherhood: Provide your children with ROOTS and WINGS




There are thousands of moments that have occurred during my 5 short years of being a mother so far which make me sigh and think “wow, I love being their mommy.” A few of those moments really stand out for me. They are punch-you-in-the-gut, all-consuming moments where I think, “Ok, the stars have aligned and being a mommy, NO, being specifically LILY and COLE’s mommy – is just exactly what I am meant to be.” I like to celebrate those moments for Mother’s Day.



Like when I was the Mystery Reader for Lily’s preschool class a few months ago. I crouch outside the door so kids don’t see me. I wait for Mrs. Foster to give me the signal. I have one of Lily’s favorite books tucked under my arm. I am nervous because it is likely I will get emotional. I am nervous because I know seeing Lily’s face will make me cry. Finally it is time for me to go in and Lily shouts “It is MY MOMMY today! Mommy, hi hi!” And she scoots to the front row and I feel her adoring eyes, her pride, her love. I remember having that feeling about my own mother when I was a child.

Cole and I really bonded those first 6 months of his life and that connection has never faded. See, he hardly slept. He was up 2-4 times per night. 

Well, ok, NOW he is sleeping. 

Kid liked to be nursed. The kid loved to be loved. And just….held. Even though I was slowly becoming a sleep deprived maniac with a non-sleeping newborn and rowdy almost 2 year old, I knew from the beginning that he was happiest cradled up with his mamma. Not much has changed. And I think my heart will break a little bit when it does.


Old picture. His "ya ya" was taken by the "ya ya fairy" months ago, but is it terrible that I miss his pacifier? I miss him as a baby. 

My mom always tells me: “It is a mother’s job to give her child roots and wings.” I love that. I think I’ll make a card & illustration with that saying.

My mother is unfortunately in the hospital this Mother’s Day. Also unfortunately, it is not unusual for my mother to be in the hospital. Her history and condition is for another post. I choose to see the positive in the situation. I choose to enjoy the recent glorious conversations we have had, where I have learned about her thoughts and experiences when she was a mother of young children. I am grateful.

We are going to brunch for Mother’s Day. No other real plans. Any cool ideas for kid-friendly ways to spend Mother’s Day? 

No comments:

Post a Comment